Hi! I’m Shing Yin Khor, sometimes known as Sawdust Bear. I make things.
This is what I do –
- I am a sculptor and illustrator. My work can be purchased at my shop, and at Stranger Factory/Circus Posterus. My work explores a world of bumbling science, human fallibility and heroic futility. I am inspired by historical hoaxes, old museums, post colonial detritus, cabinets of curiosities and pre-Linnean taxonomy.
- I am a cartoonist, and I also run a small micropress called Sawdust Press. My current long-form project is the Center for Otherworld Science (cryptozoology, women, and sci-fi), and Tiny Adventure Journal (travel comics). I have a preference for strong, but meandering, narratives. I write at the intersection of autobiography, race, feminism, sexuality, privacy and too much thinking about comics.
- I write essays, generally of the navelgazer variety. I talk about myself more than would be polite.
- I build art installations, mostly ridiculous ones, with an excellent group of collaborators.
- I throw art shows with Leslie Levings; they are usually called some variant of Dubious Beasts. We like monsters, museums, and old things.
The best way to reach me is Twitter, but I am also on Instagram, Facebook and Tumblr. My email address is shingkhor at gmail.
If you would like to support my work, you can do so on Patreon.